Monday, September 26, 2005

What connects Madonna and John Shuttleworth?


A splendid evening was had by all last night, as we went to see 'versatile singer/songwriter' John Shuttleworth at the Lowry in Salford Quays. John is in fact a comedy character who is something of a cult figure. He sings ditties such as Shopkeepers in the North are Nice, Betty Turpin, and his very own Eurovision entry, Pigeons in Flight. My favourite of his new tunes has to be Shepherd's Pie: "That shepherd's pie was stunning/ But I'm half way through my pudding/ I can't go back to savory now..."

But to add to our excitement, we spotted a celebrity in the audience! None other than local popster Badly Drawn Boy. Now this isn't the first time we've bumped into Mr Gough - for we also spotted him at one of the Madonna gigs in Manchester last summer. So now I'm assuming that he has similar tastes in popular culture as me and my friends, and I will document any other sightings so that we may build up a profile of what the Drawn one does for fun. I'm going to see Johnny Vegas on Friday, and so will be sure to look out for him there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally Johnny Vegas, John Shuttleworth and Badly Drawn Boy all performed at the Hovis Presley Tribute Night in Bolton (21st Nov 2005. Unfortunately madonna couldn't make it!